Monday, December 10, 2007

Easy Nine Patch Christmas Ornament

I have been looking online for things to make for Christmas presents. I found quite a few patterns for place mats, coasters, purses, quilts, and other crafty things using fabric. I found a coaster that I want to make using a shoo fly block. It ends up being 5 inches. I was starring at the pattern and thought, "Hey, this is a good idea for Christmas ornaments too". So I brain stormed for a little bit and this is what I came up with. An Easy Nine Patch Christmas Ornament.


I wanted to use an easy design. So I decide to make the first one using a nine patch pattern. I opened up my scrap drawer and found the pretty pink batik butterfly fabric. I have used this in quilts and other things. I love the fabric and unfortunately don't have any more of it. Then I came across the sage green fabric with pink rose buds on it. If you know me you know that I love fabric with roses on it no matter what color. (Butterflies too). I thought they looked rather cute together.

I cut the fabric into 1 1/2 inch squares. I cut a complimentary fabric in a 1 1/2 inch strip to use for the border of the block. The finished square ended up being 4 1/2 inches. I used a green blender for the back. I did use some low loft batting in the middle. I sewed it together using the pillow case method. I'm not sure if that is what it is called. That is what I call it. I used a cream colored ribbon for the string. It took me a total of about 15 minutes to complete this ornament.

I thought the next one I would make would be with out a border and stuffed with fiber fill to make it look like a pillow and sew the ribbon in at the corner.

When I make the next few I will take pictures as I go that way other people can see how it was made. I have the thank Bonnie for the idea. She does that on her site when giving out instructions. So I guess that is all for now. I hope you enjoy this easy nine patch Christmas ornament.

No comments: