Monday, December 17, 2007

Geocaching Christmas Ornament

My husband has a hobby. It is called geocaching. Well I should say that geocaching has become a family hobby. My hubby describes it as, "Using multi million dollar government satellites to find Tupperware in the woods." It has grown on me. Except for the hiking with ticks. I'm not a fan of that.

He has a secret Santa partner that he has to get something for. He got him a gift and wanted to send an ornament too. We searched at 5 different stores and couldn't find any hiking or woods themed ornaments that you could give to a geocacher. It was rather frustrating. I can't remember if it was my husbands idea or mine to try to make an ornament. I was very hesitant about it. I wasn't sure I would be able to make it as nice as it should be. I went to the geocaching website and printed out their logo. I sat down with a pen and practiced drawing it out.

Now on to the actual making of it.
I used 100% cotton material. I cut 2 squares measuring 3 3/4 inches. I ironed a fusible stabilizer onto the wrong side of one of the squares. On the other square I used permanent fabric markers in pastel colors for the squares. They are washable and don't have to be heat set. It just has to dry for 24hrs. Then came the hard part. I drew the geocaching design on the colored squares. It is copyrighted. We thought that sense I am not selling these and only made two as gifts that it would be OK. No money was exchanged or made in the making of these. The original geocaching logo doesn't have black lines around the squares. I added that myself because the fabric markers I used bled a little bit. So the black line cleaned it up. I decided to use green ribbon for the hanger. It turned out pretty well. The finished size ended up being 3 1/2 inches square. I made one for my hubby. Every year we buy ornaments for each other and the children.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Geocaching is great fun. That's a nice ornament. Have you been to Holly's blog Andsewitis? She's the one that got me started.